Robert "Bob" Johnston
Attorney / Managing Member
Bob Johnston helps entrepreneurs and companies create value through trademarks, patents, and other intellectual property. He prepares and prosecutes trademark applications and patent applications before the United States Patent and Trademark office (USPTO). With decades of experience, he has helped clients of all types with the full spectrum of intellectual property.
He has worked as an attorney with large, multinational law firms, served as chief intellectual property counsel for a technology startup that eventually realized a market capitalization over a billion dollars, and founded Johnston IP Law. He helps clients all over the United States and works in a wide range of industries including medical devices, oil and gas, software, hospitality, retail, aircraft, energy, and more. Bob has degrees in engineering, law, and business.
He has served as the chair of the Dallas Bar Association’s Intellectual Property Section and has been selected as a D Magazine Best Lawyer for multiple years. Bob is a runner and pilot.
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Southern Methodist University – J.D., 1992 | SMU Law Review Association | Thompson Scholar
- Southern Methodist University – M.B.A., 1997
- Southern Methodist University – M.T.S., 2004
- Baylor University – B.S. in Engineering, 1989
- Assisted a technology start-up company develop its intellectual property portfolio as an aspect of preparing to go public, eventually realizing a billion dollar capitalization.
- Assisted a large medical-device company to double the size of its substantial patent portfolio with a focus on strategic areas.
- Negotiated and drafted license agreements between major oil companies and a technology start-up company.
- Conducted intellectual property due diligence to support the sale of a technology-intensive company to a large conglomerate.
- Performed a freedom-to-operate patent study on a new medical device in advance of its introduction into the marketplace.
- Litigated a patent in a two-week jury trial that resulted in a favorable verdict.
- Conducted a patent reexamination at the United States Patent Office on a medical device that resulted in affirmed claims.
- Investigated and analyzed a manufacturing machine for infringement under a patent and presented the results as part of a licensing campaign.
- Drafted a joint development agreement between two technology companies to develop and market a new product.
- Cleared a new product’s trademarks and helped secure trademark registrations for each.
OUR CLIENTS' SUCCESS IS OUR TOP PRIORITY
“Excellent service towards small business owners!
It's difficult to obtain design patents in the apparel industry, but through Johnston IP Law’s specialized legal counsel, I obtained two patents. I feel lucky to have found Bob as he was straight forward and did not promise things he could not deliver. In addition to my two patents, the services I received helped me secure a brand name registration I’d long struggled to secure on my own.
I highly recommend Johnston IP Law to anyone looking for an IP attorney with great integrity and a passion for helping small business owners.”
Maria, Dallas, TX
“As a first-time business owner, Johnston IP Law was outstanding trademark and intellectual property attorney to work with; Bob was patient, professional, and extremely knowledgeable. We are grateful and feel Bob worked with us on a personal level, always safeguarding and advising our business and our team during this year of ‘growing pains.’ As Triple N Ranch Winery continues to grow, we look forward to working with Johnston IP Law and know that Bob will be diligent in identifying issues, handling trademark filings, and protecting our I.P.”
Michelle, Dallas, TX
“As someone who is new to the world of Trademark Law, I cannot tell you how much I appreciated the time and effort Bob took to not only handle our legal issues, but also explain to me as we went through the process exactly how things worked. He was extremely knowledgeable, but at the same did a wonderful job ensuring I understood inner workings of trademark law. I would highly recommend Bob and his firm to anyone in need of IP Law expertise.”
John H., Springfield, IL
“As a technical professional, I appreciate Johnston IP Law’s attention to detail and their ability to accurately describe our inventions. The services we received were done effectively, with limited input from the engineering team. We are grateful to have worked with Johnston IP Law!”
Jeremy M., Ft. Worth, Texas
DISCLAIMER: This form does not establish an attorney-client relationship and should only be used to contact the firm about scheduling a call or meeting. Do not send confidential or sensitive information via this form.