Robert "Bob" Johnston
Attorney / Managing Member
Bob Johnston helps entrepreneurs and companies create value through trademarks, patents, and other intellectual property. He prepares and prosecutes trademark applications and patent applications before the United States Patent and Trademark office (USPTO). With decades of experience, he has helped clients of all types with the full spectrum of intellectual property.
He has worked as an attorney with large, multinational law firms, served as chief intellectual property counsel for a technology startup that eventually realized a market capitalization over a billion dollars, and founded Johnston IP Law. He helps clients all over the United States and works in a wide range of industries including medical devices, oil and gas, software, hospitality, retail, aircraft, energy, and more. Bob has degrees in engineering, law, and business.
He has served as the chair of the Dallas Bar Association’s Intellectual Property Section and has been selected as a D Magazine Best Lawyer for multiple years. Bob is a runner and pilot.
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Southern Methodist University – J.D., 1992 | SMU Law Review Association | Thompson Scholar
- Southern Methodist University – M.B.A., 1997
- Southern Methodist University – M.T.S., 2004
- Baylor University – B.S. in Engineering, 1989
- Assisted a technology start-up company develop its intellectual property portfolio as an aspect of preparing to go public, eventually realizing a billion dollar capitalization.
- Assisted a large medical-device company to double the size of its substantial patent portfolio with a focus on strategic areas.
- Negotiated and drafted license agreements between major oil companies and a technology start-up company.
- Conducted intellectual property due diligence to support the sale of a technology-intensive company to a large conglomerate.
- Performed a freedom-to-operate patent study on a new medical device in advance of its introduction into the marketplace.
- Litigated a patent in a two-week jury trial that resulted in a favorable verdict.
- Conducted a patent reexamination at the United States Patent Office on a medical device that resulted in affirmed claims.
- Investigated and analyzed a manufacturing machine for infringement under a patent and presented the results as part of a licensing campaign.
- Drafted a joint development agreement between two technology companies to develop and market a new product.
- Cleared a new product’s trademarks and helped secure trademark registrations for each.
OUR CLIENTS' SUCCESS IS OUR TOP PRIORITY
“Excellent service towards small business owners!
Johnston IP Law has been an excellent source as legal counsel regarding my IP registration and patent submissions. It's difficult to obtain design patents in the apparel industry and through his guidance, I obtained two patents. I tried to do this on my own while starting my company. After much research and due diligence I made the decision to consult an IP legal expert. I feel lucky to have found Bob as he was straight forward and did not promise things he could not deliver. Additionally, as a small business company, registering the brand name has been a long and arduous process. A major apparel company opposed the registration of my brand due to somewhat similar name and falling in the same product category. Mr. Johnston took immediate action and counseled me. He made sound recommendations in order to move forward and obtain the brand name registration. His willingness to represent the small guy has made a positive impact in my obtaining two design patents and a trademark registration. I highly recommend the firm to anyone looking for an IP attorney with great integrity and interest in helping small business owners.
I will continue to use his legal services and highly recommend him to those in need of IP counsel.”
Maria, Dallas, TX
“Triple N Ranch Winery appreciates the excellent working experience we continue to have with Johnston IP Law as our trademark and intellectual property attorneys. We are a first-time business owner and the firm was outstanding to work with; Bob was patient, professional, and extremely knowledgeable. We are grateful and feel Bob worked with us on a personal level, always safeguarding and advising our business and our team during this year of ‘growing pains.’ As our business continues to grow, we look forward to working with the firm and know that Bob will be diligent in identifying issues, handling trademark filings, and protecting our I.P.”
Michelle, Dallas, TX
“As someone who is new to the world of Trademark Law, I cannot tell you how much I appreciated the time and effort Bob took to not only do a wonderful job with our legal issues, but also explain to me as we went through the process exactly how things worked. He was extremely knowledgeable, but at the same time could explain to a layman like myself the inner workings of trademark law. I would highly recommend Bob and his firm to anyone in need of IP Law expertise.”
John H., Springfield, IL
“As a technical professional, I just want to express my gratitude and recognize your attention to detail and your ability to accurately describe our inventions with limited input from the engineering team. Thanks! I appreciate working with you.”
Jeremy M., Ft. Worth, Texas
DISCLAIMER: This form does not establish an attorney-client relationship and should only be used to contact the firm about scheduling a call or meeting. Do not send confidential or sensitive information via this form.